Internal and External DNS servers, With intranet IP's and Real IP's

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Jun 30 19:04:28 UTC 2000

Johnny Damtoft wrote:

> We have 2 sets of Nameservers, and now im trying to make things easyer.
>
> I have 2 External DNS Servers, and 2 Internals. Hosting the same Domain
> (SONOFON.DK) But the internal DNS Server contains IntraNet IP's and it also
> contains all the records that the 2 External DNS Servers has.
>
> So i have 2 sets of DNS Servers, and everytime i have to edit the external
> domain, i have to edit the internal and the external DNS Servers.
>
> I would like to edit one set of DNS Servers. So is it posible to get the
> external records into the internal DNS Server by asking for it? Like an
> include, but over the lan? (no NFS)
>
> We are using BIND8.2.2-P5

There is no mechanism within BIND to do this. Believe me, if there were, I'd
be using it. This is not to say you couldn't write some utility that
periodically zone-transfers the external version of the zone, figures out what
has changed since the last time, and then automatically adds/deletes/changes
entries -- either by using Dynamic Update or just changing the zone files and
reloading -- in the internal version of the zone to make them match.

Or, you could just wait for BIND 9's "views"...

- Kevin