Claiming Authority for root

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Jun 29 23:38:52 UTC 2000

In article <395BD2A2.A810F358 at daimlerchrysler.com>,
Kevin Darcy  <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote:

>Barry Margolin wrote:
>
>> In article <395BC842.83AE743B at daimlerchrysler.com>,
>> Kevin Darcy  <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote:

>> >The only minor wart I can think of with this is that the SOA returned for
>> >NXDOMAIN responses might not
>> >match the real root SOA exactly.
>>
>> Why not?  If they copy the root zone file from the real root servers, it
>> should include the real root SOA record.  I don't imagine they would need
>> to change it when merging in their local changes.
>
>The serial number would get out of synch, if nothing else. As I said,
>it's a minor
>wart...

I said "redoing it every time it changes".  Wouldn't that keep the serial
number in sync?

But the only field in the SOA record that's relevant to any server other
than a slave is the MinTTL (it's used for negative caching), so it doesn't
really matter whether the serial numbers are kept in sync.  It's less than
a minor wart, it's totally irrelevant.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA