Claiming Authority for root

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Jun 29 21:02:05 UTC 2000

   Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 22:32:01 +0200
   From: Johnny Fribert Lauridsen <jlaurids at cisco.com>

   I may be blind somehow, but I actually know of a site that wants to have ownership of root '.',
   and still wants to be able to access the Internet.  Are you saying that this is  not possible, or
   do you have an idea as to how it is possible?

The only way I can think of to do that is for them to copy the Internet's
root zone file and merge their changes into it, redoing this every time it
changes.

The root zone isn't very large and doesn't change often (only when changes
happen to TLD delegations), so this is probably feasible.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA