Setting up a mail server -> Back to DNS issues

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Jun 29 18:26:26 UTC 2000

In article <4.3.2.7.2.20000629105943.00b0be70 at mail.earthlink.net>,
Steven M. Klass <sklass at andigilog.com> wrote:
>	Ok, I need some understanding and clarification.  I have a dedicated IP
>from my ISP (216.160.204.35).  When I do a nslookup of that I get
>jdsl135.phnx.uswest.com.  Now, how can I receive mail for andigilog.com? We

I get jdsl35.phnx.uswest.net (35, not 135, and .net, not .com).

>own this and I want to receive mail for it.   What and where do I need to
>turn to in order to facilitate this.  Is it my ISP or since I control the
>andigilog.com name am I responsible for creating a zone file for
>it?  Currently it is maintained by earthlink.  I am a little confused, can
>some of you experts help me out?

Since you control the adigilog.com domain, you're responsible.  You enter
the following records into the zone file:

andigilog.com.       IN MX 10 jdsl35.phnx.uswest.net.

If you don't like referencing their internal hostname for your address like
this, you could also do:

mail.andigilog.com.  IN A  216.160.204.35
andigilog.com.       IN MX 10 mail.andigilog.com.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA