Bind interaction with NDC

Lee Howard faxguy at server.deanox.com
Thu Jun 29 01:26:26 UTC 2000

At 09:12 PM 6/28/00 -0400, Kevin Darcy wrote:

>I can't think of anything within BIND that would cause recurring invocations

Nor can I.

>of named consistently on the hour. Are you sure there isn't some cron job or
>something on your system that's constantly trying to start named? Maybe
>something that *thinks* named has crashed (possibly because it's looking in
>the wrong place for the "pid" file)?

I'm certain that it's not cron doing it directly.  Cron may be running some
type of named log dump or something that may be the catalyst, but it's not
the problem, because it's not a problem until '/usr/sbin/ndc restart' is
run.  I've seen this behavior on three different installations (all RedHat
6.1 linux, updated).

>Idea: temporarily turn "named" into a simple shell (or Perl, or whatever)
>script that just does a long "sleep". Then when the hour rolls around, the
>process that's trying to start it will get stuck and you'll be able to
>identify it just by using "ps".

Actually, it kills itself immediately upon recognizing that bind is already
running, and try as I may, I can't catch the pid with ps.  I'm not really
that worried about it, because I've resolved my concerns: "dont' use ndc,
but use named instead".

Thanks.
Lee Howard