Bind interaction with NDC

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Thu Jun 29 01:06:25 UTC 2000

    Lee> Don't know, but following the subject of your subject, I've
    Lee> had trouble using ndc.  If I do '/usr/sbin/ndc restart' I
    Lee> eventually get multiple named processes attempting to run,
    Lee> and it kills itself.  My logs indicate that this occurs every
    Lee> hour on the hour, to the second.

That's a MASSIVE hint to look at the system's crontab files. I suspect
someone has put an entry there to start a name server every hour on
the hour. [How else would something like this happen if cron wasn't
involved?] If this cron jon exists, it is not very wise. There's
usually no need to run more than one name server process on a system,
far less kick them off at regular and frequent intervals (while a name
server is probably already running too!). And "ndc restart" doesn't
fix the problem of multiple name server processes either. But you
should know that by now.