MX problem

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed Jun 28 22:27:49 UTC 2000

In article <8jdlt7$fsg$1 at wanadoo.fr>, odh <odh at chez.com> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Here's my problem :
>
>I have a domain name (say mydomain.com) that was previously hosted on a web
>server and had a dedicated mail server.
>
>Now, I have a new web server, and also a new mail server (w. Imail Server
>for Win NT) hosted somewhere else, with different IP adresses. I've updated
>the DNS entries on my DNS server with the following values :
>
>NS mydns.mydomain.com
>
>IN MX 0 mailsrv.mydomain.com
>localhost IN A 127.0.0.1
>www IN A 123.123.123.123
>mailsrv IN A 123.123.123.124
>
>Now, I can send message to mailuser at mailsrv.mydomain.com but not to
>mailuser at mydomain.com
>
>Does someone know what I did wrong ? Thanks for any help...

The lines you have beginning with "NS" and "IN MX" need to be indented and
should immediately follow the SOA record for the domain in order to be
treated as records for the domain name itself.

I suspect that they are indented in the real file, but got messed up when
you transcribed them into your posting.  But I can't tell for sure.  Please
tell us the domain you're really talking about so we can look at what's
*really* there.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA