Newbie question about DNS & Granitecanyon

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Jun 27 23:25:58 UTC 2000

STZ wrote:

> I hate feeling like an idiot, but I have little knowledge of exactly how DNS
> works.
>
> What I'm trying to do is run 3 domain names through one ISP hosting company.
>
> I'd like:
>
> 1. www.domain1.com to point to the root of my ISP.  This is provided free
> from my provider.  No problem here.
> 2. www.domain2.com to point to www.domain1.com, so when someone types
> www.domain2.com they get rerouted to www.domain1.com.  Is there any way for
> them to continue to see www.domain2.com in the URL, even though they are
> seeing the content from www.domain1.com?

You can do this with a DNS alias, but you'd have to register and run
domain2.com, or pay someone to do it for you.

> 3. I'd like www.domain3.com to be stored in a directory under
> http://www.domain1.com. For example, I'd like www.domain3.com to be actually
> in www.domain1.com/d3/

DNS alone cannot do this, but you can configure a "virtual server" on the
webserver to perform this function. Again, you'd have to register and run
domain3.com, or pay someone to do it for you.

- Kevin