NT BIND 8 Crashing

Len Conrad lconrad at Go2France.com
Tue Jun 27 19:48:55 UTC 2000

>BIND 8 on NT 4 crashes under load conditions.  Not sure what the cause is. I
>am logging, but the last lines appended don't give any indication why.  I
>have tried running BIND 8 on 3 different systems. Syntax error in named.conf
>file perhaps?

BIND 8 on NT has bug that make BIND stop answering, while the ISC BIND
service is still running.   I have a workaround, which tests BIND for
answers rather than whether BIND NT svc is "running", and stop/starts BIND
if BIND is not answering:

See: http://bind8nt.meiway.com/bugs.cfm

David Conrad of ISC tells me this bug and the no-mulitple-ip bug are to be
fixed in 8.2.3.

I don't know of any pb with BIND8 / NT failing under load.

If you dig the last query in named.run (see my config.cfm page for a full
logging statement) when BIND stopped writing to the log, AND you get dozens
of A records for one host name, then you've hit the bug.  June's a good
month for bugs.

Len