delegating a subdomain to the same nameserver

Ragnar Paulson ragnar at thesoftwaregroup.on.ca
Tue Jun 27 15:43:34 UTC 2000

Why would you want to you ask right?   We have a nameserver running on
ns2.wanware.com that is configured as authoritative for group.com.  I
also want to make it authoritative for hq.group.com.  hq.wanware.com is
as expected an internal zone of unroutable machines (192.168.x.x behind
a NAT firewall - which also happens to be ns2.wanware.com).  The purpose
of hq.group.com is simply to set
allow-query and allow-transfer in /etc/named.conf so that it is not
visible to the Internet.

When I do this, I get the following response from nslookup:

Server:  localhost
Address:  127.0.0.1

Non-authoritative answer:
hq.group.com    nameserver = ns2.wanware.com
hq.group.com
        origin = ns2.wanware.com
        mail addr = webmaster.ns2.wanware.com
        serial = 375
        refresh = 10800 (3H)
        retry   = 1800 (30M)
        expire  = 864000 (1w3d)
        minimum ttl = 43200 (12H)

ns2.wanware.com internet address = 192.52.239.253

This machine is perfectly fine being authoritative for group.com.  And
if I change the NS record to a 2nd machine and move all of hq.group.com
to it, delegation works fine.  It's only when delegating to itself i am
unable to get an authoritative answer.

Is this just bending BIND in ways its not intended to be used?

Thanks
Ragnar

Ragnar Paulson    ragnar at thesoftwaregroup.on.ca
The Software Group Limited  705 725 9999

"Of course I don't believe in it.  But I understand that it brings you
luck whether you believe in it or not."

-- Nuclear physicist Niels Bohr explaining why he had hung a horseshoe
on the wall.