How do I correctly configure PTR records?

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Mon Jun 26 18:59:06 UTC 2000

In article <8j7av8$293$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>, BadBoo  <bmeyer at rocsoft.net> wrote:
>I believe the error is that I have this line wrong:
>
>IN	SOA	ns.rocsoft.net.	bmeyer.rocsoft.net. (
>
>and that it should be:
>
>IN	SOA	ns.bellsouth.net.	dnsadmin at bellatlantic.net. (

No, the problem is that you're missing the '@' at the beginning of the
line, i.e. it should be:

@   IN SOA  masterserver emailaddress (

Assuming the machine you're doing this on is ns.rocsoft.net, you got that
field correct; and since your email address is bmeyer at rocsoft.net, you got
that field correct.  I'm not sure why you thought that these should contain
information about your ISP.  But it doesn't really matter, since hardly
anything cares about these two fields (the masterserver is only used by
machines sending dynamic updates, and the email address is usually only
used by people).

>Once I do that, What line do I insert to show where my server becomes
>the authority?

The '@' stands for the current origin, which defaults to the zone name in
the named.conf file.

>Also, Do I use an $ORIGIN line and if so, what should it look like?

You don't need it unless you need to change the origin from the zone name.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA