Moving of Domain name to another DNS server..

david bouw bouw at dds.nl
Mon Jun 26 18:01:41 UTC 2000

Hi Everyone..

I hope this isn't to much off-topic..

I am getting a headache from DNS...
After reading the various Linux Howto documents on DNS
I have got an 'fairly' good idea in what order the the lookups are
performed...

What I wanted to ask, how can you move a Domain name from one DNS to
another DNS without the visitor  noticing this or the site looking
like it is 'down'..
With the transfer the domain on the new DNS will point to a different
IP number/computer..

What I thought was the following:
Setup the domain in the new DNS and when this is done tell the
the appropiate name servers that the 'new DNS' will be the DNS for the
domain with the new IP number..
After this you can remove the settings out of the old nameserver..

Then keep the old server running to give all other DNS's
time to expire their DNS data...

Can this be done this way?  Is there a better way?

While I am typing this I can also ask the following question:
Lets say my domain (example: amazon.com) is stored in the DNS of my
ISP/Upstream...

Is it possible (necessary?) for me to setup a DNS on my machine to
define shop.amazon.com -> machine 1, pop.amazon.com -> machine 2
and *.amazon.com -> machine 3 (* means the rest of the subdomains.)

Should this be registered with a top level domain? Or can I do this
without getting any troubles..

Well, I feel like I am asking very dumb questions, but I can't seem to
find documents which tell me the answers. The most tell how a DNS
lookup is performed, but not how the machines are kept up to date and
what they exactly synchronisize.. What will be a good book/document to
read??

Thanks help on my questions..
Bye Bye
David