Getting DNS Statistics (Query in / Query Out, Errors and others)

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Jun 23 23:10:32 UTC 2000

Barry Margolin wrote:

> In article <3953ced0$1 at news.nap.cl>,
> Marcelo Bartsch <mbartsch_ at _psi_dot_cl.vix.com> wrote:
> >       Does anyonw knows how could i parse the named.stat file to obtain
> >the numbers of queries my dns is receiving, how many is sending out,
> >how much are being forwarded, how many errors and this type of information?
>
> The DNS & BIND book devotes about 10 pages to explaining the statistics
> dump.  It starts on p.163 of the 3rd Edition.

Note that the XSTATS are now the "global" nameserver statistics instead of the
per-nameserver statistics as they were by default when 3rd Edition was written and
as shown in the book. But the meanings of the individual counts are still the
same.

(Marcelo, please fix your mail address. I realize you're probably trying to defeat
spam, but "mbartsch_ at _psi_dot_cl" is *beyond* bogus. See how vix.com ended up
qualifying the address with its own domain name? That's nasty stuff. At least pick
a *real* TLD for the bogus address...)

- Kevin