configuration of Bind and nslookup

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Jun 23 21:46:27 UTC 2000

babucher at mit.edu wrote:

> Kevin Darcy (kcd at daimlerchrysler.com) wrote:
>
> : /etc/resolv.conf is what resolvers like "nslookup" use to find a nameserver.
> : /etc/named.conf is only used by nameservers.
>
> Hiya,
>
> Would you be able to offer me some advice on how I go about
> figuring out what is wrong with nslookup and why it won't
> use 204.167.104.162 as the server?

My first recommendation is to use dig instead of nslookup. It doesn't have this
problem.

My second recommendation would be to configure the reverse DNS for that address
(i.e. get a PTR for 162.104.167.204.in-addr.arpa added to the appropriate zone).

My last recommendation would be to humor nslookup by running it in interactive mode
and then issuing the "server" command to switch it to the server you want to query.

- Kevin