Why does bind 8.2 need root cache in "forward only" mode?

Carl Mascott cmascott at thecia.net
Thu Jun 22 21:48:10 UTC 2000

Kevin Darcy wrote:

> Carl Mascott wrote:
>
> > Also, I don't know if it's related, but the new nslookup, unlike the old
> > one, causes a dialup every time it is started in interactive mode,
before
> > any lookup is requested.
> >
> The reason "nslookup" causes a dialup even before you ask it to resolve
> anything, is because it's trying to resolve the address of your nameserver
into
> a name. Real DNS troubleshooting tools, like "dig", don't make
unnecessary,
> unsolicited lookups like that.

As far as I can tell, that's indeed what it was trying to do.  The reason it
"phoned home" to do it, though, is because of some config errors.  First,
the 127.0.0 reverse zone file that FreeBSD 3.3's little generator program
produces isn't quite right.  Second, I needed a localhost zone with an A
record for localhost.  I  figured this stuff out from looking at 8.2.2P5's
src/conf/workstation.  Now that everything is set up correctly,  "nslookup"
no longer causes a dialup when started in interactive mode.