Still getting my head around this - Re: Parking other domains.

Robert Chalmers robert at chalmers.com.au
Thu Jun 22 10:12:13 UTC 2000

Forgive my confusion here, but I guess I'm missing something. Please bear
with me here.

>  IN NS what1.ever.it.is.
>  IN NS what2.ever.it.is.
>; update this count for each new domain being parked?
>  www  IN A 10.0.0.1
>You could use the same address for all of them.  Or you could just make
>them all CNAMEs pointing to a hostname in your domain.  On the web server
>itself you would configure appropriate name-based virtual host settings so
>that you wouldn't need unique addresses.

If i were to set up my server to allow for domain name parking, how could I
possible use only one IP number as suggested?
I've just set up a 'domain' on my server as if it were going to be a
'parked' domain for some third party paying a fee.

The steps I followed so far....................

I had to assign one IP with an alias - just as with a normal Virtual host
situation.

ifconfig ed0 inet 203.1.96.200 netmask 255.255.255.255 alias

That's ok. Nothing specific here. could be going to any domain name...
Now, I set up the zone in named.conf.

zone "mongrelguts.com" {
        type master;
        file "db.mongrelguts";
};

That's ok. Nothing particularly specific here. But there is no way of any
query knowing where to find it yet of course, so;

I have to tie "mongrelguts.com" to an IP number, so the world can find it
right...  So I tie it to xxx.xxx.xxx.200, the alias.
Plug it into the name servers, and point 200 at 'mongrelguts'

; Don't forget to increment the serial number
; Primary zone file
; soa.mongrelguts
$TTL 86400
@       IN SOA  mongrelguts.com.        robert.nanguo.chalmers.com.au. (
                00062219; Serial
                10800   ; Refresh after 3 hours
                3600    ; Retry after 1 hour
                604800  ; Expire after 1 week
                86400 ) ; Minimum TTL of 1 day
;
; Nameservers
;
                IN NS   nanguo.chalmers.com.au.
                IN NS   ruby.chalmers.com.au.
;
                IN A    203.1.96.200
;
www          IN CNAME mongrelguts.com.

Now, I have to put in a PTR record, or the whole thing will break.
;
200     IN PTR mongrelguts.com.

Do a restart of named, and presto, an nslookup now tells me
'mongrelguts.com' is live - at least on my machine.

However - and this is the 64K dollar question.

If I use the same number - 200 - for all such parked domains, how will the
service ever work out what is being returned?
Wont' named break because its trying to reference two domain on the same
number?
What if BOTH domains are actually accessed at the same time.

Thanks for your kind assistance,
Robert