Vanishing domain

Michael Bryan bind at ursine.com
Wed Jun 21 21:49:08 UTC 2000

Barry Margolin wrote:

> You should probably try to find out why you owe a payment now if the domain
> doesn't expire until next year.

That's easy --- NSI has their head up their butt.  I recently took over admin
of a half dozen domains from another division in the company, and one of the first
things I did was check the whois information for expiration dates, all of them
were set to expire sometime in 2001.  About two weeks later, two of the domains
vanished from the .com servers, at which point I checked the payment page, which
showed payments due for the two deactivated domains as well as two others.

In other words, you simply cannot rely on the expiration dates provided by whois.
They might be right, or they might not be.  I called NSI to complain, and their
response was basically "We don't guarantee that whois information is correct, if
you want to know the real expiration date, call us."  :-/

The folks at www.domaindiscover.com look -very- attractive to me right now.