BIND Version check

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Tue Jun 20 18:22:42 UTC 2000

At 05:42 PM 06/20/00 -0700, Bill Manning wrote:

> Actually, revealing the version is a good thing.  Hiding the
> version encourages additional probing.

I only allow queries by external hosts to a few zones, so (I assume because
of this) version.bind queries are rejected.

Hiding the version vs. rejecting the version info may be a different issue,
but I'm not sure I follow the logic that it would encourage more probing.
To me, rejecting the query would indicate that the DNS admin was thinking
about security since, in a default setup, the version should be returned.

But if I was convinced that it was better to report that I am running the
most current version of Bind, how would I enable reporting of version.bind
on my restricted-zone bind setup?

Bill Moseley
mailto:moseley at hank.org