ndc socket?

Jack Barnett jbarnett at axil.netmate.com
Tue Jun 20 18:03:33 UTC 2000

Jun 20 12:06:49 imp named[8367]: unix control "/usr/local/bind/etc/ndc"
socket failed: No such file or directory
Jun 20 12:06:49 imp named[8367]: unix control "/usr/local/bind/etc/ndc"
socket failed: No such file or directory
Jun 20 12:06:49 imp named[8367]: ctl_server: socket: No such file or
directory
Jun 20 12:06:49 imp named[8367]: ctl_server: socket: No such file or
directory
Jun 20 12:06:50 imp named[8371]: Ready to answer queries.
Jun 20 12:06:50 imp named[8371]: Ready to answer queries.

The machine is a Sparc Station 20 running Solaris 2.5.1 and Bind 8.2.2-p5
(the newest) and I am trying to chroot it in the /usr/local/bind directory.

Everything is working expect for this aspect in the "-t /usr/local/bind"
envoirment. If you run it out of chroot it works find and creates a "socket"
(??) under /usr/local/bind/etc called "ndc|". When under chroot it doesn't
create this file, even if you have "/usr/local/bind/usr/local/bind/etc" to
try and "fool" it.

I read on the mail list archives that this is the default path set at
compile time, I was wonding if there was an option to specif where it should
go, for example like the `name-xfer "sbin/named-xfer";` options, I tried
`ndc` and that gave an error and didn't see any other options that looked
close in the man page, is there a "hidden" way to pass these though or do I
have to re-compile?

I recompiled it and put everyting in the "root directory", but didn't do a
make install, just copied the binaries over.  For example I set DESTRUN
directory as "/etc", I thought this would work since it was chrooted, but it
didn't.  The first time I tried it was set as "/usr/local/bind/etc/".  Do I
have to create this file by hand, or does it automatically created it on
start up?  The named is running with a -u options and that users owns the
/etc directory (atleast for now), so I don't think it is a premission
problem.

It takes about 4 hours on that machine to compile bind, so I wanted to make
sure I got everthing right before I jumped into it, since the "trail and
error" method will take about a 4 week.

Thanks,
Jack