BIND Version check

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue Jun 20 16:49:40 UTC 2000

In article <2i2vks89q059dc2hej4039o82673dp226f at 4ax.com>,
Daniel Norton  <danorton at suespammers.org> wrote:
>By revealing the version number, you also reveal the set of
>vulnerabilities of the server.  If your server is visible to the
>Internet, you should disable this reporting by adding these lines to
>your named.conf file (without the =====):

Isn't it simpler to just use the "version" option to put in a fake version,
e.g.:

options {
  version "none of your business";
};

I'm not even sure if your idea of creating a "bind" zone really works.  It
may have changed since I last checked, but it used to check for a query
being version.bind as a special case *before* looking the name up in
memory.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA