Wildcard Domains in zone file?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Jun 20 01:44:04 UTC 2000

Wildcards aren't "undocumented". See RFC 1034, Section 4.3.3. The trouble
is, the behavior of non-leftmost wildcarding is unspecified -- the
RFC doesn't appear to actually *forbid* them -- and therefore the
"feature" is unimplemented.

Is there any particular reason why you don't just use "*"? It'll match any
of those "www.[username]" names just as well as what you're apparently
trying to do. The only drawback is that it will also match *other*, perhaps
unwanted, permutations. But offhand I don't see how this would cause a
problem for your mod_rewrite rule...

- Kevin