Up to 1 Minute for Name Resolution

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Jun 19 23:53:38 UTC 2000

buedi at gmx.net wrote:

> Hallo,
>
> I have installed Bind 4.9.x.x as Caching only Name Server on my
> S.u.S.E. Linux 6.2. It works "great"... it resolves all my Names and
> it work´s great as NameServer for all my Clients in the Network. The
> Problem is, that the Name Resolution takes from 30 - 60 seconds. If a
> name was resolved (and held in cache) it works incredible fast. But
> the 1st request takes too long.
> If I override my named on the Linux Box and use only the Nameserver
> from my Provider (which uses my bind / named for resolution, also) it
> takes only a split second to resolve the name. So I think the Problem
> is in my bind / named configuration.
>
> Can someone tell my where the fault could be? I could find nothing in
> the HowTo´s included in my S.u.S.E. system... Hope someone can help.

There isn't much to go on there. How is your nameserver configured? In
particular, do you have direct connectivity to Internet nameservers, or
are you forwarding?

If you're forwarding to your Provider, your query latency should be
approximately in the "split second" range you're seeing from direct
queries, assuming your nameserver isn't running into any resource
problems.

If you're querying the Internet nameservers directly and the queries are
taking a long time to be answered, then maybe your Provider has a
problem with their upstream connection. DNS uses mainly UDP for
efficiency, but unfortunately UDP packets can be dropped on a congested
link or a connection that's receiving errors, causing retries, so
DNS performance get disproportionately affected by those kinds of
conditions.

- Kevin