An experimenting webdesigner seeking guidance...

Gary Wardell gwardell at Yeshua.cc
Mon Jun 19 04:23:53 UTC 2000

On Sunday, June 18, 2000 9:18 PM, Shan Moorthy
[SMTP:junk_email at dingoblue.net.au] wrote:
> OK, a few questions, http://www.mydomain.com wants me to move my domain.
What
> does this mean in regards to the free domain name I got with the other
> company?

Since they say they do forwarding, why don't you just pay the $40 to keep
your domain there and let them forward to your existing web site and your
all set?

>And the http://www.ripe.net/ripe/docs/ripe-192.html webpage made
>absolutely NO sense to me :)

It's certainly easier than learning this for just one domain.

> Here are the details:
> I have registered this domain (actually, I suspect its a subdomain) for
> free: shan.au.com

Yes it is a sub-domain, but that's OK.  Funny, when I went there they
wanted $100 for the first two years. <scratching my head>

Anyway, I presume they delegate it do you in which case you would have them
point the delegation to the DNS servers at mydomain.com (normally this is
done by putting the name of the DNS servers in the registration record)
where mydomain.com would then forward to your website below.

> I have the following website at the moment:
> http://www.crosswinds.net/~shanm
> now, is there a free way of redirecting hits from the domain to the
> website?

There may be a free redirecting service but I haven't looked since I don't
need such services.  Actually I do redirecting, but not for free.

Gary