Local works remote doesn't

Thor Kottelin thor at anta.net
Sat Jun 17 20:23:04 UTC 2000

Greg Strange wrote:

> Once I change my record at
> Network Solutions, I should get responses to domains in my server as
> authoritative, right?

Whether your lookup results are authoritative or not depends on whether
they come "fresh" from a server that is configured as a primary or as a
secondary for the domain in question. Try looking up
"localhost.gc.anta.net."; the reply will likely be authoritative. Then do
it again; the reply will most probably be cached and therefore
non-authoritative.

When the name server you query is itself authoritative for the domain name
you're looking up, the response will always (well, almost always) be
authoritative, since there won't be a caching server in between.

As for updating the name server information Network Solutions carries for
your domain, that will only affect forward DNS delegation; queries that
"walk the tree" through the GTLD servers will be advised to see the name
servers you have specified. Note that reverse DNS delegation is handled by
IP registries such as ARIN and RIPE, not domain registries such as NSI.
(If your network is a small one, you'll probably need to request
delegation from your ISP, not from the registry.)

> I don't use an ISP or anything; I just have a router
> sitting out there on a T1.

No ISP at the other end of your T1?	:-)

Thor

--
Plain old email is very insecure. Please make it
a little safer for yourself and me by using PGP.