newbie question

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Jun 16 17:09:19 UTC 2000

This is not a nameserver function, it's a resolver configuration function.
It can be done in the resolver configuration using a default domain or a
"searchlist", but my personal recommendation is to nip this thing in the
bud as early as possible: get your users into the habit of using
fully-qualified names. Otherwise, they'll very likely get confused over
the "inconsistency" of being able to use short names for some hosts and
protocols, but having to use fully-qualified names for others, e.g. for
email to other companies. Also, any kind of resolver "searching" or
"matching" algorithm tends to generate lots of bogus queries and thus
waste valuable DNS infrastructure resources.

- Kevin