Cisco Distributed Director

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Fri Jun 16 15:40:10 UTC 2000

> Our primary root server does not have recursion disabled.

Sounds like it isn't a root name server, then.  A root name
server is authoritative for the root zone (i.e., ".").  "Root" is
not, as some people mistakenly believe, an adjective
meaning "main."

> Clients point to our
> primary and secondary DNS servers,  in order to resolve a "DD" domain
entry
> the primary or secondary goes to the DD, get's the ip, caches it, then
returns
> an
> A record to the client.  The SOA record, by default, on the DD states a
zero
> second TTL,  but it takes the primary and secondary 1 second to do this.
If
> there are multiple requests for the DD record within 1 second (which holds
> true in our case) the same ip is given out to all clients.  This brakes
the
> load balancing expected from  the DD.  My question is this,  how can I
have
> the clients go to the DD themselves for the A record without bypassing the
> primary and secondary DNS servers?

I don't believe you can.  As far as I know, Distributed
Director doesn't have the ability to handle recursive
queries, which means you can't configure a resolver
to query it directly.

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend the next Internet Software Consortium/Acme Byte & Wire
DNS and BIND class!  See www.acmebw.com/training.htm for
the schedule and to register for upcoming classes.