Bind Installation problem

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Fri Jun 16 10:30:34 UTC 2000

    Sirine> Hi, I tried to install BIND8.2.2P5 on Solaris, the size of
    Sirine> the file named was 7 Mbits, while the version 8.1.2 of
    Sirine> BIND generates a file named smaller.  After installing the
    Sirine> new version of BIND (v8.2.2P5), the server worked well for
    Sirine> a while than it stopped responding. I think it's because
    Sirine> the size of the binary file named.

It's highly unlikely that the size of the executable file has anything
to do with whether the name server runs or not. And if it did, the
chances are that problem would be reported immediately the name server
started. [For example because of some OS limit on the size of a
process. Sometimes name servers die when their caches get too big for
the OS, but I doubt if that has happened to you either.] There are
probably a lot of other things that you should check before clutching
at straws like the size of in.named. Did the name server die or did it
hang? Did it dump core? If the name server hung, what does a system
call trace say the name server was doing? What was printed in the logs
just before the name server stopped responding? Was the software
compiled and installed correctly? 8.2.2P5 on Solaris is a fairly
standard combination - I believe it's used on some of the root servers
- so everything should just work. That would tend to suggest some
local configuration issue is the most likely source of your problem.