CNAME VS A

Scott.Wiseman scott.wiseman at realestatenet.com
Thu Jun 15 23:02:56 UTC 2000

How about this
 the change is in ALL CAPS

>bigt.movie.edu    IN    A    192.168.1.1
>bigdah.movie.edu    IN CNAME bigt.movie.edu
>
>VS
>
>bigdah.movie.edu    IN    A    192.168.1.1

There are some situations where you can't use the first version.  You can't
do:

movie.edu.  IN MX 10 bigdah.movie.edu.

or:

movie.edu.  IN NS bigdah.movie.edu.

because MX and NS records are required to point to A records, not CNAME
records.  Also, you can't do:

MAIL.MOVIE.EDU	IN A	123.123.121.121
bigdah.movie.edu.  IN MX 10 mail.movie.edu.
CAN YOU DO THIS

because this would violate the "CNAME and other data" prohibition.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA
Please DON'T copy followups to me -- I'll assume it wasn't posted to the
group.