Star Addressing for DNS

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Jun 15 22:59:57 UTC 2000

In article <5DEF109335DAD111B05F00A0C9DDFC023398B5 at ROCHS2>,
Scott.Wiseman <scott.wiseman at realestatenet.com> wrote:
>I read the wildcard, this deals with mail.

So?  Wildcards work the same way regardless of the record type.

>I am talking about
>
>subdomain1.domain.com
>subdomain2.domain.com
>subdomain3.domain.com
>subdomain4.domain.com
>subdomain5.domain.com
>
>or
>*.domain.com
>
>would mean the same thing

*.domain.com.  IN MX 10  mail.domain.com.

Depending on the mail server software on mail.domain.com it might handle
this automatically or require you to explicitly configure it to accept mail
for any subdomain.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA