Caching only Nameserver?

Patrick Buedi buedi at gmx.net
Thu Jun 15 15:10:03 UTC 2000

Hello,

since 2 days I am trying to install an chaching only Name Server. I
use a Linux Box as "Gateway" for my home network. Just to make name
resolution faster I had the Idea to set up an caching only name
server. I have found a isdn-howto (in the german S.u.S.E.
Distribution, but this one is available in english too, I think). I
used the old bind distri (4.9.x.x), not the new bind8, because the
howto explained only the setup up of the "old" Bind version.
So I activatet the bind /Name Server in my rc.config (named=yes),
wrote wrote a new named.boot (including
forwarders=<nameserver_of_my_isp>, root . root.cache, slave) and set
the nameserver in my rc.config to my localhost.
Now, when I make a nslookup, say to www.suse.de, the box calls out to
my isp, makes the nslookup and hangs up. That´s correct. If I make the
2nd nslookup, the box do not call out to my ISP, but does the
nslookup. That´s OK too. So I thought the "caching only" name server
works correctly.
But the I rebooted my linux box and made the nslookup again... and...
the box called out to my ISP, made the lookup and disconnected. I
thought a caching only Server holds a database with all the IP <->
names?? I think I made a mistake in my configuration, read different
howto´s (dns-howto, man for bind and so on) but couldn´t find a
solution for my Problem (where or why is there (no) database for named
/ bind)?

Maybe someon can give me a tip or a source for a
"caching-only-nameserver-howto" :-)

Sorry for my bad english. And sorry if I made a mistake in my
named.boot. I am at work now... I will look today afternoon in this
newsgroup again and then I can write the correct values if you want.

Bye

Patrick