DIG root.hints update failure

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Wed Jun 14 15:29:02 UTC 2000

>     >> My point is still if it's out-of-date, bind throws errors.
>
> No. It will only throw errors if NONE of the name servers listed in
> the file are reachable. This is extremely unlikely unless the file
> exclusively consists of lies. The most probable reason why the name
> server will complain that it can't find the root servers is no access
> to the Internet because the link to your ISP is down. It's hard to
> invent another scenario that could explain why queries to all 9 or 13
> name servers in the root.cache file would fail or timeout.

Actually, newer BIND name servers do note mismatches
between the root hints file and the result of a system
query.

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend the next Internet Software Consortium/Acme Byte & Wire
DNS and BIND class!  See www.acmebw.com/training.htm for
the schedule and to register for upcoming classes.