reverse lookup I just get the ISP's server

David Cost dcost at post.com
Wed Jun 14 01:45:50 UTC 2000

I have a DSL account where the IP is allocated by the ISP's DHCP server.
They do not intend for users to use this account to host their own server,
so we are waiting for them to release a new account they have announced
where they will give out 1 static IP and allow hosting. As we run Win2K
Server, I have always wanted to run our own DNS server, so to get ready for
this change, I set up our DNS server yesterday: mpp2.mparam.ca on
161.184.112.51

If I do a reverse lookup I just get the ISP's server, not ours. As the ISP
will not make any changes to our existing account, am I out of luck with
respect to setting up and testing my own DNS server until such time the ISP
will give us a static Ip or am I just doing something wrong?