Message for Bind-users

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Jun 14 01:00:55 UTC 2000

Hans Hohenner wrote:

> Since this is clearly an important issue to you, my suggestion is to author
> a RFP proposing the change.  It's better to work within the system (such
> that it is, the Internet can be a pretty chaotic place) than go off on a
> tangent.   Better yet, why not write one to allow the  Unicode character
> set to be used... and include the underscore in this list.  I'm sure you'll
> please lots of people not in USA that way too, and maybe get enough of a
> consensus to push it through.

Straw Man argument. I haven't expressed an opinion one way or another on unicode
characters. Furthermore, if I were to make a _cause_celebre_  out of
underscore-acceptance, I'd think I'd be pragmatic enough to decouple it from any
unicode proposal, given the dismal record that such proposals have historically
had in getting accepted...

> If that gets accepted by the IETF, then the bind authors will (most likely,
> I'm not one of those esteemed folks, and can't really speak for them...)
> incorporate the changes into the code base.  I'm quite willing to bet that
> their goal is to follow the standards that are in place, not arbitrarily
> change them.

I'm not sure I understand you here: are you saying that ISC would purposely flout
an Internet standard just because of a personal bias against underscores? Or are
you trying to make the case that a standard which allows underscores in hostnames
is somehow inherently *more* arbitrary than one which prohibits them?

- Kevin