saving already looked-up data before a shut-down

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue Jun 13 17:43:02 UTC 2000

In article <394662f5.682362 at susie.robert.nld>,
Robert Joosten <robertj at wirehub.nl> wrote:
>I use bind on my dial-up server. But I shutdown this machine every
>day, resulting in loss of already looked-up dns-info.
>
>Is there any possibillity to save that info and loading it again
>after the boot the next day ?

No.

And if someone mentions the "ndc dumpdb" command, they're wrong.  You can
save the cache to a file, but there's no way to load it back into memory.

Also, lots (I suspect most) of domains have TTLs that are a day or less.
So even if you could restore it, most of it would expire pretty quickly.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA