NT 4.0 IIS 4.0 Service Pack 6a Bind Ver 4.95

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Jun 13 02:14:35 UTC 2000

Scott.Wiseman wrote:

> How is Bind and IIS 4.0 related...How do they work together...

They only work together inasmuch as DNS resolution is necessary to process
URL's, specifically to figure out what web server (or FTP server, or ...) to
connect to. There is no "secret handshake" between the two services; in
fact, the nameserver you use to resolve a name is often half a world away
from the webserver with the name, and may be run by totally separate
organizations.

> Plus to make things worse, there is a sql script looking at the host
> header...
> It then populates the page based on the host header.

That's _worse_? Sounds like software virtual hosting to me. You just need to
figure out how to configure it. There are mailing lists and newsgroups
devoted to that kind of thing (take a look at comp.infosystems.www.*).

> Example
> When I turn off bind...nothing happens when I type in the domain name and
> press
> enter in the browser.

That's because your browser can't resolve the name into an address. It's not
that BIND is inhibiting the ability of the web server to serve you pages;
it's just not telling clients how to *get* to the web server.

The bottom line here is: there is nothing in DNS which is going to enable
software virtual hosting for you. This is something that has to be
configured in the web server.

- Kevin