Intermittent Sender Domain Must Exist errors from remote SMTP hosts

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Jun 12 22:39:03 UTC 2000

What are you giving as your MAIL FROM in these SMTP conversations? The
zone "example.com" may be perfect, but if your MAIL FROM is giving
"user at internal.example.com", where "internal.example.com" has no
retrievable data on the Internet, then SPAM-paranoid mailers will
probably reject it. It's become a necessity these days to rewrite sender
envelope addresses, for just this reason. If you're balancing your load
amongst multiple outbound gateways and only 1 of them is misconfigured,
this might explain the intermittentness of the problem.

Of course, I'm only speculating. Maybe you really do have a
_bona_fide_ DNS problem. But since your zone has already passed
DNS Expert, I think it's worth investigating the other possibility...

- Kevin