Newbie Question: How can I tell if resolvers (clients) are connecting?

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Mon Jun 12 22:16:49 UTC 2000

    >> What is the best way to determine if incoming connections from
    >> clients (resolvers) are present on a Bind 8 server?  Can each
    >> individual connection be logged?

Almost all DNS queries use UDP, so there are few connections as such
to log. However the name server can log every query it gets. This is
called query logging (surprise, surprise!). You can do toggle the
logging of queries with ndc, but a better solution is to get a BIND8
name server to use a custom logging channel for queries.