Migrating Microsoft DNS to BIND

Gottfried Hamm ghamm at ghks.de
Mon Jun 12 22:12:58 UTC 2000

On 8 Jun 2000 09:58:32 -0700, James Housley <jim at thehousleys.net>
wrote:

>Delirium Sky wrote:
>>
>> HI there,
>>
>>     How can I transfer my Microsoft NT DNS records over to my Linux Bind 8
>> DNS Server. ?
>>
>> There must be some sort of conversion utility I just cant find it.
>>
>One way might be to set up the Linux Box as a secondary to suck the
>records over.

The more elegant way is to save your configuration on the NT machine
into zone files: Open the DNS manager on the NT machine, right click
the DNS server and choose "Update server data files". You'll find the
files under \winnt\system32\dns. These files can be used as zone files
under BIND 4.9.x and 8.x.x.

Good luck,

	Gottfried

--
Gottfried Hamm
Phone +49 (6249) 905005 | Fax +49 (6249) 905004