Secondary Named Server

Luis Camacho luis at annotate.net
Mon Jun 12 19:01:41 UTC 2000

Scott Said:

I am reading Dns and Bind 3rd edition.

I have an NT Server that was setup when I got it.

It has bind 4.95 and it is the Primary named server for 290 domain names
How do I make a Secondary server on this same computer?

Scott

**********
Mr.DNS recommends that you place secondary DNS servers in a remote location.

that would rule out putting it on the same machine.  My company has many
serveral DNS servers.  2, of which, are in the same location.  For
Redundancy,we are creating another to place it in a remote location.

Read the following excerpt for Request for Comments: 2182      (RFC 2182)

A major reason for having multiple servers for each zone is to allow
   information from the zone to be available widely and reliably to
   clients throughout the Internet, that is, throughout the world, even
   when one server is unavailable or unreachable.

   Multiple servers also spread the name resolution load, and improve
   the overall efficiency of the system by placing servers nearer to the
   resolvers.

When selecting secondary servers, attention should be given to the
   various likely failure modes.  Servers should be placed so that it is
   likely that at least one server will be available to all significant
   parts of the Internet, for any likely failure.

   Consequently, placing all servers at the local site, while easy to
   arrange, and easy to manage, is not a good policy.  Should a single
   link fail, or there be a site, or perhaps even building, or room,
   power failure, such a configuration can lead to all servers being
   disconnected from the Internet.

   Secondary servers must be placed at both topologically and
   geographically dispersed locations on the Internet, to minimise the
   likelihood of a single failure disabling all of them.

   That is, secondary servers should be at geographically distant
   locations, so it is unlikely that events like power loss, etc, will
   disrupt all of them simultaneously.  They should also be connected to
   the net via quite diverse paths.  This means that the failure of any
   one link, or of routing within some segment of the network (such as a
   service provider) will not make all of the servers unreachable.