reverse dns over the net

slawson61 at my-deja.com slawson61 at my-deja.com
Sat Jun 10 10:22:28 UTC 2000

In article <8hqi2j$mr4$1 at as102.tel.hr>,
  "Davorin Mestric" <davorin.mestric at zse.hrXXX> wrote:

> i'm behind a firewall and i can't ping, traceroute.  i need to
manually
> resolve some numeric addresses, is there a way to do it over the web?
>
> i have tried this page:
>
> http://www.tracert.com/en/resolver.html
>
> but some of the addresses do not get resolved. for example
>
> 90.90.100.146
> 142.200.99.116
> 169.254.163.71
> 192.17.79.202
> 195.29.220.121
> 201.1.10.13
>
> also, i collect those addresses from our application which quieres
for the
> local address of the machine.  this application is a trusted applet,
so the
> web server (rented space outside of our firewall) records different
> addresses because of firewalls, proxies, etc.   how can i match those
> addresses to the ones on the web server, since some of those
addresses do
> not show on the web server.
>
> thanks.

My favourite is www.samspade.org, it has traceroute, dig, rDNS and all
the rest. It doesn't resolve your problem addresses though. (any gurus
out there feel free to correct me on this next bit)As far as I'm aware,
there is no requirement for a site to have a url, the whole point of
domain names being to render IP addresses in a more "people friendly"
format. We use DNS to convert our optional url into an IP address. I
think the reason you can't resolve these IP addresses is simply because
they DONT resolve (and never will, no matter what utility you use).

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.