Multiple Domains using one address

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Jun 9 23:21:41 UTC 2000

Yes, it's valid, but there's really no point in having all 3 PTR's since
nothing I'm aware of looks past the first one.

The only pitfall would be if your machines were connecting to a server
which attempted to "authenticate" incoming connections by matching the
results of the reverse lookup with some non-DNS data, e.g. if you had a
protocol something like:

    Client: Hi, I'm www.mydomain2.com. Let's talk!
    Server: According to the reverse lookup, you're actually
www.mydomain1.com. Get lost, imposter!

A more benign form of this same syndrome would be the Received: headers
on SMTP messages, which might show a disparity between the announced
name (in the HELO or EHLO part of the conversation), and the results of
the reverse lookup for the client address.

As a workaround, it might be possible to arrange for all such client
connections to identify themselves as www.mydomain1.com or whatever your
*first* PTR points to.

- Kevin