newbie cache data problem

Todd Flom todd at flom.com
Fri Jun 9 20:50:15 UTC 2000

Hi, all, got a problem resolving domains on my local primary, I can't
figure out what's missing. Here's what I get from nslookup:

>ns1:~ # nslookup a.root-servers.net
>Server: ns1.flom2.com
>Address: 209.150.221.117
>
>Non-authoritative answer:
>Name:  a.root-servers.net
>Address: 198.41.0.4

>ns1:~ # nslookup 198.41.0.4
>Server: ns1.flom2.com
>Address: 209.150.221.117
>
>*** ns1.flom2.com can't find 198.41.0.4: No response from server

okay, so my hint file only works one way?
Now I look up a domain I own ( flom.com ) that's hosted on a remote
server:

>ns1:~ # nslookup flom.com
>Server: ns1.flom2.com
>Address: 209.150.221.117
>
>Non-authoritative answer:
>Name:  flom.com
>Address: 206.145.13.1

It must have cached this somehow, because when I lookup the domain that
hosts it:

>ns1:~ # nslookup black-hole.com
>Server: ns1.flom2.com
>Address: 209.150.221.117
>
>*** ns1.flom2.com can't find black-hole.com: Server failed

Anyone have any ideas on stuff to try, I've consulted the Bat book but
it only tells me to check the syslog, not possible problems/solutions.