NEWBIE selecting nameservers based on domain name

rdpintexas at my-deja.com rdpintexas at my-deja.com
Fri Jun 9 17:13:06 UTC 2000

I just recently got a cable modem. I also have a
couple of PPP modem dial-in connections
to closed networks which I want to keep.

I have already used the "route add -net" commands
to tell the kernel to route certain
telnet requests through the ethernet port and
others through the ppp0 connection,
depending on the subnet address, etc.

I'd like to do a similar thing with nslookup.
Specifically if the resolver tries
to find something on
<whatever>.<whatever>.companya.com, I'd like it to
query a particular nameserver.  If it tries
companyb.com, I'd like it to query another
nameserver. Otherwise I want the nameserver
associated with the cable modem. Since
companya.com and companyb.com are closed networks
their name-servers won't work on "internet"
domains and vice-versa.

My reading of the docs indicates the best way to
do this is to establish a /etc/named.conf file
with "zones" for company A, company B, and set up
zone files to access each nameserver accordingly.

Am I in generally the correct direction? Am I
clueless? Is there a much easier way to handle
something like this?

Thanks,

Roger

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/