Multiple domains on a single server

Matthew Thompson matthewt at fairplay.co.uk
Thu Jun 8 12:25:36 UTC 2000

Hi Kapil,

I doubt that you're getting discontinuous assignable addresses.

The address you indicate as 192.168.1.14 (It really is best to give real
addresses or domains when asking for assistance btw as often it makes a
problem easier to diagnose) sounds like it is more likely to be the IP
address of the serial port of the router that you connect to at the ISP.

192.168.2.128 would be your Network Address and as such not usable.
192.168.2.144 would probably be a Broadcast Address and again not usable.
One IP address, most probably 192.168.2.129, will be assigned to your
router.

This will leave 130 to 143 (inclusive) as assignable addresses.

All you need do is enter these into the config files for the domains you are
running on your dns server.

Depending on the version of BIND you are using your config files may look
something like this... (Version 8.2.2-p5)

The following are the files I use on my internal private network. IT is not
directly connected to the Internet and they are the actual addresses in use.
For hte public internet actuality.co.uk does exist and obviously resolves
differently.

!--Start of example named.conf
options {
    directory "/var/named";
};
zone "." {
    type hint;
    file "named.ca";
};
zone "actuality.co.uk"{
    type master;
    file "named.actuality.resolv";
};
zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa"{
    type master;
    file "named.local";
};
zone "254.168.192.IN-ADDR.ARPA"{
    type master;
    file "named.actuality";
};
!-- End of example

named.ca is the "Cache" or "Hint File"
named.actuality.resolv is my Forward resolution file for actuality.co.uk
named.local is my Reverse resolution for the local loopback
named.actuality is my Reverse resolution for 192.168.254

!--Start of example named.actuality.resolv
@       IN  SOA actuality.co.uk.    root.actuality.co.uk. (
            2000051701 ; serial
            28800 ; refresh
            14400 ; retry
            3600000 ; expire
            86400 ; default_ttl
            )
@       IN  MX  5   localhost
@       IN  NS  localhost.
daisy       IN  A   192.168.254.2
lenny       IN  A   192.168.254.1
router      IN  A   192.168.254.254
ermintrude      IN  A   192.168.254.4
home        IN  A   192.168.254.3
jess        IN  CNAME   home.actuality.co.uk.
localhost       IN  A   127.0.0.1
!--End of example

!--Start of example named.actuality
@       IN  SOA actuality.co.uk.    root.actuality.co.uk. (
            2000051401 ; serial
            28800 ; refresh
            14400 ; retry
            3600000 ; expire
            86400 ; default_ttl
            )
@       IN  NS  jess.actuality.co.uk.
1       IN  PTR lenny.actuality.co.uk.
2       IN  PTR daisy.actuality.co.uk.
3       IN  PTR jess.actuality.co.uk.
4       IN  PTR ermintrude.actuality.co.uk.
!--End of example

With regards to reverse dns, you must first enquire with your ISP as to
wether or not you will be responsible for these. Many ISPs do not reverse
delegate subnets and keep reverse dns on their own systems.