also-notify - how long should it take?

icculus4128 at my-deja.com icculus4128 at my-deja.com
Wed Jun 7 23:04:11 UTC 2000

After a lot of searching, I finally got the also-notify syntax down
(boy, this could be documented better - all I can find is a one
sentence blurb in the CHANGES file in 8.2.2p5 distribution and finally
tracked down a clarification from Barry in this newsgroup on the
syntax).

But it still doesn't seem to be working.

We've got an external master DNS server, 192.48.244.69, and an internal
one which all internal machines point to, 10.64.16.13. (so, if our
firewall goes down at least internal stuff still resolves)

I've got specified on the master in the named.conf:

zone "johnstewart.com" {
        type master;
        file "johnstewart.com";
        also-notify { 10.64.16.13; };
};

I changed a record in the johnstewart.com domain, did a named reload
(also tried a full restart), and the internal DNS server, 10.64.16.13,
doesn't see the changes (it is configured as a slave for
johnstewart.com, and has 192.48.244.69 as the master).

I've been doing manual named-xfer's every time I update the main DNS
server, but I thought this also-notify would take care of updating the
internal DNS server.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? (if any further info would be helpful
I'll certainly provide it)

thanks!

johnS

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/