tools to manage the cache of bind?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Jun 7 21:50:47 UTC 2000

Jonathan Tse wrote:

> I am working in an isp and take care of the dns. It looks quite simple. But
> everyday I got a number of complains that our dns caches the not-up-to-date
> data. Sometimes the complains are from the customer and ask me to restart
> the named. But our side is unwilling to do so as dns is the most critical
> thing to us. So is there any tool for me to just take out a record or a zone
> from the cache in order to speed up the refresh of that particular zone?

Educate your customers. Notwithstanding server restarts, the persistence of
data in a DNS cache is controlled primarily by the *source* of the information,
e.g. the administrators of aol.com control how long "aol.com" names persist in
everyone's caches. If your customers are getting stale DNS data then they
should be contacting the administrators of the relevant domains about it.

- Kevin