Zone transfer

LODHA DEVYANI /IT/CRP LODHAD at ICICI.com
Wed Jun 7 04:01:26 UTC 2000

Hi all !!
This is my third query for the day... Please excuse me for troubling all of
you so much....
The problem is as follows :
I am running a slave nameserver on a linux box RH 6.1 This slave nameserver
was newly configured as slave for the zone www.cafemumbai.com
<http://www.cafemumbai.com>  <http://www.cafemumbai.com
<http://www.cafemumbai.com> > And the master was mentioned as
192.168.130.24, again a Linux RH 6.1 Now what I assumed was that as per the
refresh interval the zone transfer (for the first time ) should happen
automatically. I.e. the backup file sec/cafemumbai.com should be created
automatically. But it didn't happen.  Infact the backup files for all the
other zones (for which also the machine is a slave) were also created by me
using a dynamic update through dnsconf utility.
By looking at the log file for xfer-in I found the following type of
statements :
	: /usr/sbin/named-xfer -z cafemumbai.com -f sec/.com -i
sec/cafemumbai.com.ixfr.tmp -C 1 -q -P 13568 -T cafemumbai.com.319 -d 3 -l
xfer.ddt  192.168.130.24  axfr
This command does invoke a transfer when fired from the shell prompt. But
from the log it seems that when its fired by named it doesn't work...
Please let me know what is going on ?
Also I read from the cricket book  that the backup file for the zone is
'touched' if the zone is up to date. In my case the time stamps never seem
to change.
Please suggest what is wrong and how to correct it .
Thanks in Anticipation,
Devyani.

 Feel the pulse of the stock market on the tip of your finger
Online Investments at http://www.icicidirect.com.