RCODE

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Jun 6 00:47:25 UTC 2000

To expand a little bit, remember that there are really 2 parts to any query:
the name and the record type. You can get a NOERROR-with-0-answers response
from an auth nameserver if the name you queried is matched, but no records
of the queried type exist. There are no A records for "fred.sun.com", but
sun.com appears to have a wildcard MX record which will match the name in
any sun.com query you throw at their servers. That's why it returns
NOERROR and 0 answers: because it matched the name you queried with the
wildcard MX record, but MX wasn't the record type you queried.

I don't know exactly why your nameserver is returning NOERROR instead of
NXDOMAIN for fred.mydomain. Do you have a wildcard in the zone? A little
more information about how your nameserver is configured would be helpful...

- Kevin