Bind errors??

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Mon Jun 5 20:28:27 UTC 2000

In article <Pine.LNX.4.10.10006051304041.24453-100000 at romulus.csd.selu.edu>,
Ray  <ray at ops.selu.edu> wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>I'm migrating our DNS from 2 VMS machines to 2 Linux machines.  I thought
>everything looked good, clients and servers have been using the new DNS
>servers for a week now.   But this weekend, when VMS was brought down for
>an upgrade, my primary Linux DNS server stopped responding.
>
>I'm not positive they are related, but strongly suspect so.  This is
>relevant entries from the log while DNS was down...  i'm particularly
>concerned with the "Broken pipe" and "Connection refused" messages.   When
>VMS came back up, named apparently fixed itself.....    Anyone have any
>ideas about the logs?  I'd appreciate it...

It would help if you told us whether the addresses that show up in the log
(e.g. 147.174.1.5, 147.174.247.80, etc.) correspond to the VMS servers.

My first guess is that you may have had the Linux machines configured to
forward to the VMS machines.

Without more details about the configuration of the Linux boxes, it's
difficult to say much more.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA