Converting DNS database files from 4.9.x to 8.2.2

M mc599 at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 5 19:31:57 UTC 2000

jwang at cbkna.com (jwang - Internet Mail) wrote in
<A3F765A8A834D31194C50008C7A453BD022BED68 at ntnew09.ny.commerzbank.com>:

>Are there tools to convert DNS database files from BIND 4.9.x to 8.2.2?

I take it this is for an upgrade, since BIND 8 secondaries will
transfer data from primaries without a hitch.

There's one point I haven't seen in the other follow-ups that
you may wish to know:

While the database file format hasn't really changed, BIND 8.x
tends to be less lenient than v4.x in terms of some, erm, "hacks"
made in the zone files -- illegal entries and the like.

A BIND v8 master will continue to offer responses from what it
considers "incorrect" data [malformed/erroneous zone file] but
will refuse to transfer to secondaries.  This can cause some
dizzying headaches, especially if changes to your DNS are not
a frequent occurence.

Instead of listing all of the potential problems here, I offer the
following to save yourself a headache: set up a v8.x server and
watch the error logs as it starts.  Note any problems it finds
with particular entries, correct them, and transfer the corrected
files back to your BIND v4 master server.  Your upgrade from 4->8
should then be otherwise painless.

Good luck.